- My name is Laura Dossena. In 1999, I graduated in Law from Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, in Milan (Italy), specialising in International Law; but just before finishing my degree I started translating and I was immediately hooked.
I have been working as a professional in this field since 2000.
- I am a perfectionist (some would say I am slightly obsessive). And this translates into the following (pun intended!):
- I only translate into my native language, Italian, (my mother tongue), and only in my specialization fields, to guarantee the best quality and accuracy
- I don’t do outsourcing: I don’t provide services in language pairs and specialization fields other than mine
- Yes, I did deliver a translation later than expected once. I had an accident and I called my customers to let them know while I was being prepped for surgery: for me, deadlines are that important.
- I have been using CAT tools since… forever – along the way, I obtained a few certifications:
- Education and training are essential, even when technology-unrelated:
- I simply love talking and sharing about my work:
- in January 2017 I launched my first online course, about CAT tools from a business prospective (in Italian):
“Gli strumenti CAT, il traduttore e il mercato” (CAT tools, the translator & the market)
- I teach one-on-one courses for translators about translation technology and CAT tools in particular
- Things I am passionate about (other than translating!):
- home exchange: I happen to be Intervac Ambassador for Italy! In the pic above, you can see me in Union Square, NYC, during an amazing exchange in the Big Apple
- running, Pilates, mindfulness: in other words, trying to stay as healthy and sane as possible!